deathstickaddict

Books, Bad Boys & Tattoos

I'm an eighteen-year old two-faced Filipina extrovert who has been living in the pages of books for two years now. I expertize in warped logic and extreme criticism.

SPOILER ALERT!

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant - Veronica Roth

Book description: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

3.75 out of 5 stars.

I was quite reluctant picking up the first book back in 2012 but ended up loving it anyway. I loved Divergent so much two years of waiting for the last book was indeed agonizing and seemingly dragging.

So when Allegiant finally came out, I instantly grabbed a copy and excitedly read despite my rather hectic schedule due to the upcoming end of the second semester.

I wanted to love this book. I really did. But I guess I'd just have to classify this as my least-favorite in the trilogy, right behind Insurgent. First off, the dual POV isn't really ideal. Aside from the fact that the tragic ending becomes quite predictable (the person narrating never dies because he has to narrate until the end of the story and abruptly having two people narrating is somehow a warning that either will die and the like esp. with a thrilling conclusion to a trilogy like this), the narration doesn't actually seem distinguishable. Were it not for the chapter titles, you will not be able to distinguish Tris's narration from Tobias's. Both POV's are practically similar.

It would have been better if Veronica Roth had stuck to the original one-person narration...maybe we could even have spared that one character's death. (Oops, there you go.)

Also, I actually find Tobias quite annoying in this book. As much as I admire Tris's character development since the first book, Tobias's just seems to go downhill. He is simply reckless and even serves as a liability (at least to their movement) when he just does things he didn't give much thought about. Heck, he almost kills one of his friends! I understand that what he had just experienced from the hands of his own mother is indeed overwhelming but really now? Shouldn't he have gotten stronger and even more driven not like a dazed, lovesick puppy who needs healing and support from his girlfriend who's  busy trying to save them? Tobias was really tough and unwavering in the first book, what happened? I expected that he'd have some character development as well especially with him finally standing up to his abusive father in the second book. I am so disappointed with how Tobias ended up.

Tris. Thank you Veronica Roth because Tris is indeed one who gives justice to character development. I love her almost quick metamorphosis. I love how she transforms from a soft-hearted yet strong-willed girl to someone strikingly brave and who's able to save her people. Tris has just changed so much from the first to the last book and it is the only thing I love about this book.

Over all the book isn't that impressive. Yes, there's the drama and questions being answered but it just lacks substance. It's just all about revenge, very single-tracked unlike the first book which was fast-paced and definitely action-packed.

It's still okay for a conclusion to a trilogy, though. As I've mentioned earlier, the questions are answered, they finally obtain justice and the like, it is in a way, a satisfying finale. And the ending, ugh! Even if I'd already sensed it the moment I discovered it was dual POV, it has still rendered me speechless, horror-struck and heartbroken.