deathstickaddict

Books, Bad Boys & Tattoos

I'm an eighteen-year old two-faced Filipina extrovert who has been living in the pages of books for two years now. I expertize in warped logic and extreme criticism.

Legend by Marie Lu

Legend - Marie Lu

Book description: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

This book is one of the best dystopian books I've read so far.

5 out of 5 stars.

There are just no words to describe how great this book is. The writing style is not as plain but definitely easy to read. I also loved the dual-colored text they used to separate the two POV's. This time I didn't think one will die since it's just the first book in the trilogy (perhaps it could be possible but I refused to think so).

One thing I love about this book is the female protagonist, June Iparis. I'm an avid fan of female badasses in books (since I'm sort of a feminist) and June is just the girl who could impeccably and cleverly plan and act out schemes of revenge. She has a good head on her shoulders and she is able to carry this out all throughout the story. Very witty, strategic and compassionate, this girl. There is never a time where she has to play dumb like most protagonists just so there'd be some action in the chapter. Thumbs up for that.

The next one is Daniel Wing, the male protagonist. He's the country's most-wanted criminal in this story and is allegedly June's brother's murderer. What I love most about Day is his criminal mind. You'll instantly fall in love the moment he lays out his criminal motives. No kidding, I love how he's able to portray his role as the country's most-wanted criminal through which he uses his intelligence to escape and survive. I've never been in love with a criminal before and I don't plan to but Day could be an exception.

The world and setting. I admire the military set-up in this book and the innovative technology as well. I am one who is easily fascinated with science and I'd have to give this book that. The disease and scientific element in the story isn't as original (practically all dystopian books have that) but it's still okay.

Lastly, the plot. Oh yes, this should be my favorite about this book. I love how Marie Lu didn't have to focus solely on the romance (which is somehow a dominant element of the plot) unlike other dystopian books. No, there isn't much cheesy encounters between June and Day and yet, it still turns out okay, brilliant even. Marie Lu's able to make her reader feel the romance between her characters without using cheesy words and scenes, just the mere conversation of the two is more than enough. This book is one to prove that not everything is about raging teenage hormones. She sticks to the plot and the plot twists are just so mind-blowing.

This book is indeed brilliantly written, fast-paced and every chapter is action-packed and breathtaking, definitely a page-turner. It's like Les Mis but dystopian.