deathstickaddict

Books, Bad Boys & Tattoos

I'm an eighteen-year old two-faced Filipina extrovert who has been living in the pages of books for two years now. I expertize in warped logic and extreme criticism.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

Book description: After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another.

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

5 out of 5 stars.

Brilliant and incomparable.

Brilliant. The writing style is so much more than the definition of brilliant. It's not light but not tense either. I love the omniscience of the third-person narration, how it doesn't focus only on the main character but on the minor ones as well and of course, its flawlessness. Maas is able to describe and explain things in a rich and colorful manner...way to go, Maas!

Incomparable. Aside from the fact that this book falls on a unique storyline, (and characters) the world where everything takes place is just so magical. I wasn't expecting for the fantasy aspect of this book. What with the competition to become the King's Champion, I thought it'd fall more on dystopian or something close to that. Turns out there are still more to come, something one will not ever expect in a book.

And of course, the characters...damn do they have depths.

Celaena Sardothien is the epitome of a female badass, not only because she's a female assassin but because the violence in her veins is clearly perceptible in every chapter. You can hear it in her thoughts, her speech...her badass personality is what makes up every fiber of her being and that's one thing I love about this book--the mere fact that Calaena is able to carry out her "criminal mind" until the last sentence of the book. It's not everyday that you come across a female badass let alone an assassin and I am more than appreciative that Sarah J. Maas was able to give justice to that.

Dorian Havilliard and Chaol Westfall. I love how Maas was able to portray the lives and personalities of these two (hot) guys, how Dorian possesses the mind and heart of a true royal, how Chaol emits the bravery and self-control of a royal guard.

The one thing every reader will love about this book is how it doesn't focus only on the "competition" but on the story enclosed in it as well. The book isn't just about the violence but self-discovery as well. And the plot development, it's excellently laid out. Every twist and turn in this book is breathtaking and definitely mind-blowing, especially the romance? Definitely enthralling. Maas made it difficult to choose between Dorian and Chaol most especially when both men had a fair share of proving themselves not only to Celaena but also to the readers. I can't wait to read the second book and find out which man wins my heart, I mean Calaena's.

Indeed, no other story can ever compare to what this book has in store for its readers.